Monday, November 23, 2015

Homeschool Field Trip #7

Yesterday, Lindsey (my homeschool tutor) took me to a Civil War Weekend reenactment at Liendo Plantation near Navasoto, Tx. When we got there we scouted the place a bit but after a while, Lindsey got tired of pushing me in my manual wheelchair and sat by some girls. They were talking about how some women dressed up like men so that they would get called to the battlefield but if they did get caught, men would kill them. Anyway at two o clock, the civil war started! Their wasn't any ammunition used in the battle but their was still gunpowder. The soldiers still had to be careful not to aim and shoot directly at an another soldier because the gunpowder might rocket out into someone's face. I don't know how many times I startled during the battle but it was loud, especially the cannons. It was cool to see all the air rings sometimes when the guns and cannons shot. Honestly, I don't know who won in that battle because I was confused about who was who. There was a huge plantation mansion and back in the day, they had over 300 slaves. I didn't get to go in because of my wheelchair but I know it was also one of the earliest cotton plantations. I did learn that there was a lot of yellow fever going around at that time and it was really cool to see everyone dressed like they would in that time period. The silverware they used was shaped completely different. I kinda liked this old gun they had in the souvenir shop but I guess I'm too old to play with that kinda stuff now so I didn't get it. Overall, I enjoyed the battle!





No comments:

Post a Comment