Friday, August 25, 2017

My first practice with my new team...Rolling Rapids!

Last Thursday night we had our first practice with the Colorado Rolling Rapids! My dad and some other guy has been working to secure a weekly facility to practice, which is Craig Hospital. It is supposed to be a top rehabilitative hospital in Colorado with a gym. It was quite nice! It was my first time being there. The Colorado Rapids haven't played in a long time since their coach left the team two years ago. My parents were anxious to get me playing again so my dad has stepped up to get the team back together, set up a practice schedule and coach the team. My dad wanted to get there early to set things up like a dork. Well, we got there WAY too early. I had about 45 minutes of playing time before the first person came in. We ended up with three players that showed up Natalie, Carson and Bjorn. I guess because it was the first day of school or something for some players so it wasn't the best night for a large turnout. It was pretty cool to get three players for the first practice though and a few others will be at the next practice so I think we are going to have a good team to start with. My dad let them all warm up and I had to turn the speed down on my chair before I joined in. They all thought my chair was pretty cool and they wanted to see me do a spin kick. My dad is going to try to work on getting some sort of funding to get metal guards for everyone's chair since it's kinda dangerous to practice with plastic guards. After we all warmed up, we played a little dodge ball., something we played at power soccer camp. They all had fun especially Carson and Bjorn kept on thanking my dad for being the coach for the team which I thought was really nice. Next, we did some drills. The first drill that we tried was weave through the cones. Next we did the zigzag drill that me and my dad learned from the power soccer camp. I had the most trouble doing that drill because my Strike Force chair is a rear wheel drive. Everybody else did better than I did because everyone else had front wheel chairs. After that we did stop play scrimmages. The star of the show was Natalie. She even got a goal on me! My dad thinks that she'll do really well in a Strike Force chair. After everyone left, my dad and I thought that it was a successful first practice and everyone enjoyed it. I can't wait until next week, four more players will be there!

No comments:

Post a Comment